What You Need To Expect When Facing A DWI Charge

When you are under arrest for driving while intoxicated (DWI), you have an immediate need for legal advice and relief. DWIs have significant consequences, and you want to have a lawyer with a cool head and dedication to your future to help you through.

At Amanda L. Rose, Attorney at Law, we work with people accused of DWIs, and we are familiar with the courts and the process ahead of you. We want you to understand the immediate consequences of a DWI, so you can prepare yourself for your case:

The Arrest

When you are pulled over, the arresting officer will make a determination as to the likelihood that you are intoxicated. There is a standard set of field sobriety tests and observations that they must make, but if the police have a reasonable stance they will arrest you and subject you to further tests.

The Testing

The most used test for suspicion of drunk driving is the breathalyzer, but if the police are suspicious of drug use they will subject you to blood tests. Simply having a license in New York means you have given consent to this testing, as part of what is known as implied consent, and refusal carries its own penalties.

The Sentencing

If this is your first offense, you will face at minimum a fine between $500 and $1,000 as well as loss of license for six months and the possibility of one year in jail. These consequences can change depending on whether you are under the age of 21 or have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of over .18 percent.

Repeat Offenses

With each additional offense, the potential for fines and the length of license suspension and jail time increases. These are serious offenses that can disrupt your life for a long time.

Putting Your Best Interests First

Our firm makes a point of understanding who you are and what you need from your attorney. In the case of a DWI you need hands-on, detail-oriented defense that can help shield you from the heavy consequences of the law. Call us at 1-800-407-7142 to reach our Mayfield office for a free consultation. We can also be contacted with this email form.